Wednesday, November 25, 2009

UPDATE: I want to see a snake

It was only a couple of days ago that I wrote about wanting to see a snake in the wild, and today I got lucky! As I said early there have been a few sightings at work and today one was seen very near to where we were harvesting barley in the experimental plots. We went over to have a look and saw that it was a juvenile dugite, over a metre long and very fast moving. It was thin enough to be able to move in and out of the bird netting surrounding the plots (an area of about 2 hectares), and was pretty hard to see unless you knew it was there or if it moved. We tried to contact the guy at work whose hobby is to catch snakes, however he was not around so we sent a warning email to everyone and carried on with our harvesting (with one eye on the lookout for the snake). While it was a juvenile and not particularly big it would have been a bad situation if one of us had been bitten, and there are bigger ones around as there is bushland just over the road from work. I will be more watchful of where I put my feet in the plots from now on!



1 comment:

Harriet said...

hi bro. I read your blog. and i am glad you saw a snake and also glad that you have not been bitten! also mad that facebook chat sucks so bad. also overpricing for the sake of making money is uber uber lame! my 6 kittens say hi meeow meeow and i cant wait to see you and grace in france. let me know your details when you know them :) talk to you on skype on christmas i think! xxx