Monday, November 9, 2009

Basketball

On Sunday we went to watch the NZ Breakers take on the Perth Wildcats at Challenge Stadium. NZ went into the tournament as favourites to take out 1st spot, and Perth has been playing really well at home lately, so we were hoping for a pretty good game. I had not been to a game of basketball before, so I was looking forward to it, and while it was certainly not on the same scale as US games, it was still pretty exciting. There were the all important cheerleaders, who ran on at every break to do their little dances and wave about their pompoms. There was the remote controlled inflatable advertising blimp and the half time auction for a signed Wildcats top. If Perth reached 88 point (which they did) then everyone there got a free coffee voucher. And being basically on the other side of the world from NZ (well, almost) we seemed to be the only two Kiwis in the place. The mother sitting in front of me scowled every time I gave the Breakers a cheer, because of course the visitor's supporters have no right making any noise.


Well, I can tell you that by half time I had toned down my cheering significantly, as the Wildcats led by almost 20 points, and the entire second half was somewhat tiresome as they almost increased the margin to 30 points and it was obvious that NZ was not going to get close to winning. We couldn't land a 3-pointer to save ourselves, their defense was all over us like a bad rash, and at the other end our defense left huge gaps that allowed them to score point after point (or rather 3-points after 3-points). Perth ended up winning by 20, and I have to say that New Zealand didn't look in it from the start. I was pretty disappointed as I was hoping for a good close game, but I guess that's just the way of it sometimes. Don't think I'd fork out another $30 to see them over here. I am hoping for more luck when Wellington Phoenix play Perth Glory in the footie early next year though...


Check out some photos here

No comments: