Monday, November 9, 2009

Overcharging

I'm sick of people overcharging for goods and services simply because they know they can get away with it.


Our apartment block that we recently moved into has a shared laundry. There are two washing machines and a dryer (which we don't use, things dry in half an hour on a line in Perth). While I think it is a bit cheeky to be charging tenants to use the washing machines, I think it is down right criminal to charge $3 a wash. That's $6 a week right there just to do our clothes, and then there's towel washes and bedding to be done. Over our 6 month lease I figure that it will add up to more than $200. I don't even know who the money goes to!


The other recent example of overcharging that I have is from the basketball game that we went to yesterday. Our tickets were $30 each, not bad for our vantage point. It was the parking that we really got ripped off with. As Challenge Stadium isn't really near anything, and because most people would of course drive to the game, the venue obviously felt that they could get away with charging $7 per car for parking. To me this is far too high, but of course they knew they could make a killing from it, and they also know that they could get away with it. I think it is bad form to charge such exorbitant parking fees for a planned event that consisted mostly of families out to support their local team.


My point? Enough with the overcharging! Just because you can make a tidy profit of something does not necessarily mean that you should.

No comments: