Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's not what you know...

So I finally have a job! After weeks of looking, and trying a number of different avenues, the old 'hook-ups from back home' came up trumps. I had a contact in the Western Australia Department of Food and Agriculture, who I saw when I first got to Perth. At the time he had no work going and told me to try him again in March. I was sure I'd have other work by March. After trying about a dozen recruitment agencies, applying for jobs online, calling jobs in the paper, calling people not advertising but thinking 'what the hell', and trawling the city with copies of my CV, I still didn't even have an offer of employment as a temp, or in a garden centre (and I called heaps!). Walking down the street on Monday I was feeling pretty dejected, when I remembered it was now March, and called DAFWA again. Booya! I had work the next day on a 20 day contract, with the possibility of more to come. So I am pretty stoked and very grateful for the contact.

My week ahead is filled with transferring barley seeds from big packets to smaller ones in preparation for planting. They conduct field trials breeding for disease resistance. My job isn't rocket science, but it beats worrying about how I'm going to spend the last $100 in my account!

2 comments:

Tom said...

wohoo congrats, foot in the door so to speak :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.