Monday, February 23, 2009

"Whispers through my Gran Torino"

Here's something you probably don't know about me. When I go to a movie at the cinema I get an irrational fear that I am going to need to go toilet during the movie, and will embarrass myself by having to squeeze past people, while also missing part of the movie, and having to embarrass myself all over again when I come back into the cinema. Sometimes this ridiculous feeling is so strong that I simply am not able to enjoy the movie and spend and hour and a half sitting there worrying that soon I might need to go to the toilet.

And every now and again I end up in a movie that is just so good that I forget I am even in a movie. I forget that I am in Perth, I forget that I paid $15 for the flick and $6 for the popcorn, I forget that I am stressed out about not being able to find a job, and I forget about the illogical angst that so often manages to ruin a movie for me. I get absorbed in the film and when it finishes I sit through the credits in silence and awe reflecting on what I have just seen. Gran Torino is one of those movies, as I discovered on Saturday. I highly recommend that you watch it.

I did not know anything about the film before going to it, except that Clint Eastwood had directed, produced and starred in it. I did not know the setting, the story line, or even how long it would be. And this is how I want to watch all movies now. I will not give anything away about the movie here, suffice to say that the characters are wonderful and the story is gripping. Go see it.

1 comment:

Tom said...

It is one I want to see for sure - but you need to go and see Slumdog Millionaire too, it’s AWESOME!
(Have you tried taking a 'receptacle' with you incase the need arises??!)